Date posted: 14th July 2017 / Opportunities
The Eugenie Summerfield Children’s Book Prize has been established in memory of the children’s author Eugenie Summerfield, who passed away in 2016. She is popularly remembered as the author of the Wriggly Worm Stories on BBC Radio Four’s ‘Listen with Mother’. Her 22 children’s books were published by publishers such as Puffin, Ward Lock, Hutchinson, Nelson and Arnold Wheaton. From 1975-76 Yorkshire Television broadcasted 16 of her stories as part of ‘My World’, which included The Cats of Meers, and The Runaway Piano (available on Youtube). Humour, imagination and an engaging literary style were central to Eugenie’s own writing and it is the aim of this prize that this approach to children’s writing should be fostered and encouraged. The prize is for children’s authors who currently live in the counties of Gloucestershire, Wiltshire or Somerset and reflects the familial links of Eugenie Summerfield. The prize will be biennial and will first be awarded in 2018.
Prize: £500 with a short-list of five writers.
Submission Dates: 10th July 2017 – 31st January 2018.
WHAT THE JUDGES ARE LOOKING FOR
Published children’s fiction books of outstanding literary merit which show imagination and originality.
- Published children’s authors over 18 years of age, resident in either Gloucestershire, Wiltshire or Somerset at the date of submission.
- Books of fiction for children and young people, illustrated or non-illustrated.
- UK Published Books only, in English, with ISBN Numbers. No self-published books.
- Books in rhyme are eligible, but not collections of poetry.
- Books published either in 2016 or 2017 are eligible.
- No entry fee.
- Maximum one entry per author or co-authors.
- Submissions only from authors will be considered. No submissions from either publishers or agents will be accepted.
- Authors are responsible for ensuring that the correct postage is used. Any postage-due submissions will be rejected.
- After judging has been completed, all submitted books will be donated to book charities and children’s hospices.
- Entrants must provide their name, address, telephone number (landline not mobile phone number) and email address with their submission. There is no entry form.
- Entries should be clearly marked ‘The Eugenie Summerfield Children’s Book Prize’ and should be sent to Bandon House Church Lane Toddington Cheltenham GL54 5DQ.
- The judges’ decision will be final. This is a prize administered by the Summerfield Family and is not connected in any way with the Summerfield Charitable Trust.
- Submissions accepted between 10th July 2017-31st January 2018 (inclusive). If you wish to have your submission acknowledged please enclose a stamped addressed postcard.
- Enquiries to: casummerfield@
Author, shortlisted for the Dillons Prize and writer-in-residence for Cheltenham Festivals First Story.
Author, Associate Editor of The Bookseller, and judge for the 2013 Costa Biography Award and 2016 Wales Book Award.
Fine Art oil painter, art historian and author.
Playwright, novelist and screenwriter.