Date posted: 10th July 2017 / News
We are delighted to announce that we are now accepting submissions to this year's TLC Free Reads scheme. If you're a writer living in the South West of England but are finding it financially difficult to progress further then TLC Free Reads could be for you. Through this Arts Council England-funded scheme Literature Works can offer you a free opportunity to have your work read and reported back on by a professional editor from The Literary Consultancy.
The Literary Consultancy is the UK’s first and leading editorial assessment, providing honest feedback and market advice for fiction, non-fiction, poetry, short stories, scripts and screenplays.
A critical assessment of all or part of your work could really help you progress and we are offering this scheme to all serious writers in the South West area who are on low incomes.
This is a competitive process and eligible applicants will be selected based on artistic merit. Literature Works will select candidates through assessing samples of your work.
Successful candidates will be required to submit longer manuscripts to Literature Works to be forwarded to TLC in London, for a professional assessment, free of charge, so we urge you to read the terms and conditions carefully to make sure you can comply.
Free Reads is open to writers of prose (fiction, children’s, narrative non-fiction and short stories), poetry, and scripts for TV, Film, Radio or Theatre.
If you are interested in applying, please read the below carefully and complete the downloadable application form. Applications are accepted by post only. Please send submissions to:
FAO Michelle Phillips,
C/O Peninsula Arts Office,
Roland Levinsky Building,
Deadline for entries: Friday 29th September 2017
Winners will be notified by: Friday 16th October 2017
Winners must submit two copies of each of the following:
- Their full manuscripts
- A one to two page synopsis (for fiction and non fiction)
- A covering letter detailing the word count of the submission (poetry and short story submissions should include a word count for individual pieces at the bottom of each and a total word count)
to Literature Works by Tuesday 31st October 2017 these will then be submitted on your behalf to TLC for assessment
To apply please submit the following. All submissions must be typewritten and (excluding poetry) should be double-spaced, in a 12pt font, and printed on one side of the A4 page.
- A completed application form – please note ‘submission length’ refers to the total length of your manuscript IF you are selected for a Free Read
- A one-page covering letter saying why a Free Read would be useful to you at this stage in your career as a writer and addressing your qualification in the low income criteria
- A sample of the work you want to be assessed by TLC (max 75 lines of poetry, max 3 pages for prose, max 10 pages for scripts)
- Copies of paperwork pertaining to low income status (HMRC paperwork or proof of benefit entitlement for example)