Case Closed is a new programme run by Spread the Word in partnership with C&W literary agency to find and develop new Crime, Thriller and Mystery Fiction writers from diverse backgrounds.
Case Closed aims to demystify the process of writing a crime, thriller and/or mystery novel from a craft and career perspective and encourage and support more writers from backgrounds underrepresented in UK publishing to write a crime, thriller and/or mystery novel. It has an access fund in place for deaf and disabled writers.
Running across 2023, Case Closed will provide free and accessible opportunities for unpublished and unagented writers to gain the skills and insight to develop their crime, thriller and/ or mystery novel, including:
- A pre-recorded panel event with debut crime author Tracey Lien; literary agent Emma Finn and publishing director Leodora Darlington
- A survey for writers on the barriers to and support they need to write genre fiction
- A guide on ‘Getting Started’ by Fiona Cummins
- Online workshops led by new and established crime writers represented by C&W and Curtis Brown
- An online seminar and Q&A on submitting to agents
- A first chapter competition.
Through the programme, a cohort of writers will be selected for ongoing support with the goal of them going on to be represented by C&W and being published.
Full details of all of the above events and opportunities can be found on the Spread The Word website here.